These are awesome. I was going for a fresh / delicious / kid-friendly / healthy / fun summer dinner... And I totally nailed it, if I do say so myself.
I served large Romaine leaves (these are your tortillas) with Shredded Chicken, Cilantro-Lime Quinoa, Organic Black Beans, fresh Guacamole and Pico de Gallo, and of course, shredded cheese. If you're lame or you're a small child, you can layer a tortilla under your romaine leaf before wrapping for a sturdier burrito.
Tastes genuinely Mexican and DELICIOUS! Finally figured out how to do shredded chicken without a slow cooker... Ain't nobody got time fo dat.
- 2 (8oz) cans tomato sauce
- 2 tsp. white wine vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 4 tsp. chili Powder
- 1 tsp. ground Cumin
- 2 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. EVOO
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1.5 lbs chicken boobs
- Mix tomato sauce, vinegar, garlic, chili, sugar, oregano in a medium bowl.
- In a large pan, saute onions in EVOO for a few minutes, until they're starting to soften.
- Add chicken boobs to pan, lay flat. Cook for 3 mins on one side, then flip and cook for 3 mins on the other.
- Add tomato sauce mixture to the pan and increase heat to a boil, then lower to a simmer and cover. Let cook for 20 mins!
- When the chicken boobs are completely cooked through, remove them from the pan and shred with two forks.
- Return all shredded chicken to pan with tomato sauce and cook for another 5 mins.
- YOU'RE DONE! Remove from heat and let it cool so sauce thickens and soaks into chicken.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I LOVE QUINOA. Especially this quinoa.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 lime
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 tsp agave (or sugar)
- Make quinoa! Easy peasy but I'll explain anyway: Add quinoa to pot with 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, then immediately cover and turn the heat down to a simmer. Cook for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, fluff quinoa with a fork, cover and let sit for ~5 mins.
- Dump quinoa into bowl and stir in cilantro, juice from lime, sugar, and garlic.
- You'll probably want to add salt, but that's up to you.
Even the leftover burrito-droppings on my plate look scrumptious. Admit it.
Whole Fruit Margaritas:
Saved the best for last, these things are incredible. Best/healthiest/most refreshing margaritas you'll ever have. Sidenote: Having a great blender really helps here.
Ingredients: (makes 4)
- 1 lime (peeled)
- 1 lemon (peeled, halved)
- 1 orange (peeled, quartered)
- 4 oz Tequila
- 2oz Triple Sec
- Put everything in the blender w/ a few handfuls of ice
- BLEND IT!