Thursday, August 22, 2013

Chili + Garlic Chicken with Lemon Quinoa


What inspires me in the kitchen? Well, usually whatever's left in the refrigerator. I call this a garbage bowl.  

Upon taking inventory of the fridge, I discovered:

  • Pre-grilled chicken breasts from the grocery store,
  • A cucumber towards the end of its life,
  • And an extensive collection of salad dressing and other condiments. Hm. 

To breathe new life into this sad, pre-cooked chicken, I covered it in olive oil, chili powder, and garlic powder, then threw it on the stovetop to revive it. However, I decided that there was no way this chicken could be left on its own - it would have to go in a salad. 

I thinly sliced the cucumber, cut the slices into quarters, and put the pieces in a small bowl and and left them to marinate and chill for awhile in some Caesar dressing. 

Quinoa, prepared as usual, then I added lemon juice and sea salt. Stuck it in the fridge. (Quinoa is a staple of my diet. People started eating it 7,000 years ago and never stopped, for good reason! It is a good source of essential amino acids and calcium and iron! It contains many healthy fats, and is considered a complete protein source, unlike most grains. Don't waste your time with rice, quinoa is where it's at!) 

Chopped up a head of romaine, then layered heaping spoonfuls of cold lemon quinoa, followed by a scoop of Caesar-cucumbers, and finally topped with chicken! 

Success! 

No comments:

Post a Comment